How to Clean Dentures
Just like natural teeth, it’s important to brush dentures and keep them clean to avoid the spread of bacteria, to keep breath fresh and keep your gums healthy. Read below for information regarding how to clean dentures.
- Rinse your dentures before brushing to remove any loose food
- Use a soft-bristle toothbrush and water to brush all the surfaces of the dentures twice per day. This removes food particles and plaque, and also helps keep your dentures from staining. Avoid conventional toothpaste. You can purchase cleaner created just for dentures at your local drug or grocery store
It is important to regularly clean your dentures and handle them with care. With proper maintenance, you can protect your investment for years to come.
- Handle carefully. You can easily prevent denture damage when removing or cleaning dentures by filling the sink with water or placing a folded towel in the sink to prevent accidental falls
- Keep dentures moist. Soak your dentures in cool water or denture cleaning solution when not in use. This will keep them from drying out. Refrain from using water that is too hot, as this can warp dentures
- Think of them as real teeth. Just as you would brush your natural teeth twice a day, you should brush your dentures twice a day as well. Use a soft-bristle denture brush and cool water to brush all surfaces. After every time you eat, be sure to rinse your dentures with water to keep them fresh for longer
- Give them a rest. Remove your full or partial dentures and soak them every night. This will keep them moist and allow your gum tissue to rest
- Visit your dentist regularly. Regular checkups are good for your dentures and your mouth overall. At your regular checkups, your dentist will ensure that your dentures are in good condition and fit continue to fit properly. Your dentist will also provide a thorough cleaning, just like they would for your natural teeth at a regular checkup
- Follow directions. Be sure to follow all instructions that your dentist gives you regarding care and cleaning, and do not hesitate to ask questions.
GET AN APPOINTMENT AS SOON AS TOMORROW
Click the request an appointment button below to schedule your free consultation.
We respond to all inquiries immediately and we will answer any of your questions.